Vaughn Wascovich
Stacks Image 11704
Lorain-Carnegie Bridge, 2012
digital inkjet print
Proposals for a third bridge between the East and West sides were presented as early as 1916, but construction on the Lorain-Carnegie Bridge did not begin until 1930. The design of this stone and concrete superstructure was outdated by the time construction began--in the thirties, steel was replacing bulkier building materials--but the conservative design found favor with the Cleveland public. Four enormous pylons greet those crossing the bridge from either side. Designed by Frank Walker and built by Henry Hering, the eight stylized sculptures hold symbols of the progress of transportation. Each statue holds one of these symbols: a hay rake, a covered wagon, a passenger automobile, or one of four types of trucks. The bridge opened in 1932 and was marked by a formal ceremony and festivities that included a masquerade, dancing, and prizes.